We are looking for a Sino-Italian M&BD Consultant Stagiaire for the Marketing & Business Development Department, based in Milan.
Main purpose of job: working closely with fee earners and other members of the M&BD team, the Sino-Italian M&BD Consultant will support the execution of marketing and business development initiatives linked to our Italian Desk in Asia.
• Head of the Italian Desk in Asia
• Italy M&BD Country Lead
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Be a key source of knowledge within M&BD team about the strength of our Italian desk in Asia – The individual in this role must develop a high level of knowledge about the type of legal advice and services offered by our Italian desk in Asia. There is a requirement to spend a significant amount of time learning about our capabilities and reading up on legislative developments in the Italian and Asian markets.
• BD and marketing execution: deliver high-quality day to day tactical M&BD to fee earners under the supervision of the Head of the Italian Desk in Asia and the Italy M&BD Country Lead.
Specific tasks will include:
o assisting the team on all day-to-day activities with Chinese Clients and contacts.
o assisting the team on all relationships with Chinese Clients and contacts, attending relevant conference calls, meetings, video calls.
o monitoring the Sino/Italian market and its evolutions, keeping track record of all Clients, contacts, events, etc…
o maintaining and/or creating new relationships / contacts with Chinese institutions / companies / Private Equity Funds.
o assisting in coordinating all BD trips and events from and to China.
o assisting in translating from Chinese to Italian/English (and viceversa).
o supporting the development of new product offerings, working with partners and M&BD to define the benefits of the new products and the most effective routes to market (i.e. via sector marketing campaigns and client development activities).
o supporting the ongoing activities of specific practice groups, covering BD and marketing planning and the execution of specific initiatives.
o contributing to the BD planning and budgeting process, as required, and then to work with the the Head of the Italian Desk in Asia, relevant fee earners and the Italy M&BD Country Lead to implement the plan. Ensure correct budget sign-off procedures are followed for unplanned activities.
o profile raising, communications and CRM. Contribute to the formulation of the Italian desk in Asia internal and external communications strategies (including digital) and then to implement accordingly, ensuring best practice is observed.
o assisting in strengthening the firm’s reputation in relevant practice groups / sectors through the identification of speaking, advertising and media opportunities (in conjunction with our retained PR agency and the central Comms team), as well as oversee the project management of directory and award submissions as necessary.
o working with the M&BD Hub and fee earners to develop the content of written communications including factsheets, webpages and intranet pages, including their production and maintenance ensuring best practice is observed.
o assisting fee earners in the tendering process, including conducting a bid / no bid process, managing the logistics of the pitch process for any assigned sector pitches, gathering of relevant material and information and writing formal responses.
• Engagement with the HUB: responsible for briefing the M&BD Hub on commoditised repeatable M&BD tasks. Act as the conduit between the fee earners and the M&BD Hub. Perform a quality assurance role for products developed by the M&BD Hub and provide regular feedback to improve HUB processes.
• Daily contact with Head of the Italian Desk in Asia and Italy M&BD Country Lead to deliver tactical marketing and business development activities across the Italian office.
• Build strong relationships with fee earners across Italy, Asia and the wider global network.
• Frequent contact with global marketing and business development team members (including the M&BD Hub) to ensure alignment with firm strategy, best practice and enhance opportunities for cross-selling.
• Engagement with business services areas and other parts of the business to ensure an integrated approach to the achievement of firm-wide business objectives.
• Develop relationships with event organisers, trade bodies and journalists, as appropriate.
Size and scope of role:
We are looking for an ambitious, energetic and driven BD professional with great team working skills and an ability to thrive in a fast paced environment. The Sino-Italian M&BD Consultant will possess a keen interest in developing the core strengths of the Italian desk in Asia. They will have strong interpersonal skills and a preference for verbal communication rather than email.
Education / qualifications / experience:
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ industry, Marketing or Business Development experience, with at least 6 months experience in a professional services firm preferred.
• University degree in business, marketing or related area. Professional marketing qualification is desirable.
Knowledge and technical skills:
• Understands the legal industry.
• Commercial acumen.
• Has an ability to provide effective challenge to fee earners.
• End to end management of the pitch process. Can accurately and efficiently identify contributory material for pitches. Can work with fee earners to articulate USPs.
• Familiarity with CRM systems, document management systems, intranets, website etc.
• Experience in social media, PR, online services would be an advantage.
• Can work with minimal supervision.
• Identifies opportunities to bring efficiency to the department and firm.
• Aims to exceed expectations of high quality service delivery in every task.
• Builds and maintains constructive relationships with a variety of different individuals at different levels of seniority.
• Supports new opportunities and practices within the role.
• Fluent in English. Written / spoken Italian capability is essential.
• Energetic, enthusiastic with drive and ambition.
• A can do attitude.
• Solutions oriented.
• Flexibility with working hours is necessary. As we are a small team a “roll up the sleeves” attitude is essential.
• A strong team player with an intelligent, pragmatic approach.
• Strong Chinese, English and Italian language verbal and written skills. Ability to draft pitch documents (especially key sales messages / differentiators) is essential.
• An open and communicative nature borne of a desire to share best practice and maintain a flow of market/client/work information which enables effective cross-selling and client relationship development.
• Ability to work with a range of personalities and cultural backgrounds and therefore strong interpersonal, inter-cultural and communications skills will be key.
•This is a full time role based in Milan.